This Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup is a perfect soul food for toddlers and grown-ups. The sweet aroma of roasted tomatoes, basil and cumin make this soup an ideal comfort food.
Happy Monday everyone. It’s Soup season. A nice big bowl of soup is just what we need these days. Especially during these cold winter days. So today, I am sharing this delicious Roasted Tomato and Basil soup recipe. This soup is great for little ones 1 year and above. And of course, the whole family can relish this bowlful.
I made this recipe for The Urban Spice- India’s Food and Lifestyle Magazine. Here I have roasted tomatoes with garlic and basil and then turned them into a smooth paste. Later I have added some heavy cream to give it a nice creamy texture and to tone down the tomato’s sour flavor. The flavorful aroma of this soup comes from the cumin seeds and basil. My two-year-old just loves this soup.
For grown ups, I have served this soup with toasted sourdough bread. Just spread some garlic butter, Italian seasoning, and mozzarella cheese. Roasted it till the cheese is all melted. And you are good to go.
- 5 large size tomato
- 6-7 Italian basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon tomato ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- salt and black pepper to taste
- For Tomato Rub:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- a pinch of dried basil leaves
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Start with cutting tomatoes into circles. Put them in a bowl and add all the tomato rub ingredients. Mix everything well.
- Now arrange the tomatoes on a baking sheet. Add whole garlic cloves. Roast the tomatoes at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Once done, take them out of the oven and let them rest at the room temperature for few minutes.
- Now add the roasted tomatoes to the food processor. Add half of basil leaves and make a puree. Keep it aside.
- In a saucepan heat butter and add roasted cumin seeds. Add the remaining chopped basil leaves. Now add the tomato puree, (make sure the heat is on low). Let it simmer for a minute or so. Then add the tomato ketchup, sugar, and water. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper too.
- Once the soup comes to a boil, add the heavy cream and cook for a minute. Then turn off the heat.
- Pour soup into the serving bowl, garnish with cream and serve warm.
Adding heavy cream is optional. Though it helps in reducing the extra sour and tart taste of tomatoes.
You can adjust the quantity of sugar in the soup according to your preference.
Talk to your baby’s Pediatrician before starting any new food.
© 2014-2016 EasyBabyMeals. All the content is copyright protected. Do not use without prior permission.