These homemade cracker flavored with herbs are a delicious and nutritious snack for the entire family.
Hello, everyone. It’s been quite some time since I posted a recipe. Well, things on my side had been quite busy. Blogging, especially photography has opened so many new doors. I am trying new things and thankfully I am getting opportunities to try these adventures. In December 2015, I did a family photo shoot and last week I did a product photo shoot. Both these experiences were a part of learning things, which I never thought about doing. Going beyond your comfort zone can be so challenging as well helpful.
Let’s talk about today’s recipe. I made this recipe for The Effortless Chic. Here, my toddler and family friendly recipes are featured every month. For the month of February, I was told to come up with a healthy on-the- go snack, which can take a place of store bought crackers. So I made these Herb Crackers.
I have used wheat flour as a base for the crackers, along with some organic all purpose flour. These are flavored with fresh oregano leaves and roasted cumin seeds. Oregano leaves have various health benefits. It is a rich source of vitamin K and dietary anti-oxidants. It also contains iron, fiber, vitamin E, iron, calcium, omega fatty acids, and manganese.
I have used roasted cumin in this recipe. You can use the cumin without roasting too, but roasted cumin seeds give these a warm nutty flavor. Dry roasting cumin seeds make their flavor more intense. Just dry roast them in a heated pan for few minutes and you will be done.
You can add some sharp cheddar to these crackers or ground flaxseed to make them more nutritious. These are great to snack on fruits or with a savory dip like delicious Spinach Artichoke Dip. These can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
If you are making these for little ones, make sure they are little bite sized to avoid any choking hazard. This can be a fun weekend cooking project for kids as well.
Makes these delicious homemade herb crackers for your family, and avoid the store bought variety filled with empty calories and preservatives.
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Organic All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp fresh Oregano leaves (chopped roughly)
- 1 tbs Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Roasted Cumin
- 2 tsp Black Sesame Seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- A pinch of Baking Soda
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- Water as needed for kneading (little more than 3/4 cup)
- Start with adding all the ingredient in a food processor, except water and oil. Pulse the dry ingredients and spices well.
- Start adding oil and water, knead it into a dough.
- Cover this dough with a plastic wrap, and keep it aside at room temperature for 20 to 30 mins.
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough again with hand and cut approximately inch balls. Roll these into a thin sheet with a rolling pin. Make sure they are not extremely thin.
- With a cookie cutter or pizza cutter, cut small shapes. Place them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon sheet. Preheat oven to 350*C and bake them for 10 minutes.
- Keep a close eye on these since small cracker pieces will cook faster.
- Once baked, transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Serve with fruits or savory dip.
This recipe was originally published at The Effortless Chic.
Talk to your baby’s Pediatrician before starting any new food.
© EasyBabyMeals. All the content is copyright protected. Do not use without prior permission.