Foodie Mamas are back. And today’s chosen ingredient is Zucchini. For people who are here for the first time, here’s a little information about Foodie Mamas. EasyBabyMeals has teamed up with four other wonderful Food Bloggers. We choose an ingredient and come up with our own recipes with one featured ingredient. So what you all get is a total of five delicious recipes for just one highlighted ingredient. These recipes get published on last Wednesday of every month.
I have come with Zucchini pasta for this round-up. Lately, my daughter is having noodles. Anything spiral becomes a big hit with her. So, I bought this spiral vegetable cutter. Now vegetables that go into a spiral cutter have become her favorites. You can also use mandoline or julienne peeler. In the following recipe, I have used peas along with basil and made a pesto. I have added this pesto to zucchini noodles. The flavor and aroma of basil make zucchini noodles more delicious.
Zucchini along with other green vegetables are a good source of vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential for growth- development and for proper function of immune system. Zucchini is also a source of vitamin C. It is a water-soluble vitamin that acts as an antioxidant. Zucchini is a good source of minerals like potassium, which are necessary for proper function all organs, tissues and cells in your body. It also provides phosphorus, which is an important structural component of cell membranes and bones.
While choosing zucchini, choose one that is firm and heavy. Fresh zucchini should have bright, glossy skin free from any cuts or bruises. Fresh zucchini should be stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- 1 zucchini
- ½ yellow squash
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tsp oil or butter
- 1 garlic (chopped)
- For Peas Pesto:
- ½ cup peas (steamed)
- 3 basil leaves
- 3 mint leaves
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- dash of crush black pepper
- salt to taste
- water as needed.
- Wash and cut zucchini along with yellow squash into noodles. Wash and cut tomatoes into pieces too.
- For Peas Pesto:
- In a food processor add all the pesto ingredients and turn it into a smooth paste. Add water in needed.
- For Noodles:
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Then add chopped garlic, and saute for few seconds.
- Add peas pesto and saute for another 5 minutes till the water get evaporated.
- Once everything get little dry, add the squash noodles and mix everything well. Cook for another minute. Add tomatoes now and switch off the heat. Cover it with a lid and let tomatoes cook in the remaining heat. It should take another minute or so.
- When tomatoes get little soft, Serve with shaved parmesan or white cheddar cheese.
Similarly, tomatoes should be cooked not more than 1 minute.
This was the recipe for Zucchini” from my side. Now let’s go through other delicious recipes from Foodies Mamas.
- Now these Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins look so tempting. The are made by Chrissie Baker- The Busy Baker
- Next are Zucchini and Mushroom Chicken. Doesn’t this make you hungry? This delicious recipe is made by Sabrina LS- Dinner Then Dessert.
- Zucchini cannot get better. This scrumptious Crispy Zucchini with Honey Mustard recipe is a crowd pleaser for sure. Made by Kimberly Cooper- Feed Me Seymour.
This concludes this month’s Foodies Mama’s Round-up. We will come back with a new ingredient and recipes next month. So stay tuned. Don’t forget to check out our last month’s Mango Round-up.