Winter Squash with Rice is a delicious comfort meal for babies 8 months and above.
Rice has always been a comfort food in my family. A quick one pot rice meal is welcomed by everyone on any hectic day. My daughter too loved these meals as a baby and still relishes them. I used to add various vegetable available in season and make rice meals for her. Today I am sharing rice meal recipe that I make quite often for my daughter during these fall days. Since it is a rice meal, you can use a rice variety according to your preference.
In the following recipe, I have used Samo rice, but as I have mentioned above, you can use any rice variety that you prefer. You can also use brown rice for this recipe. Here I have cooked rice with acorn squash and butternut squash and added some dried oregano, cumin seeds and basil leaves to it, just for flavor and aroma. I have also added little baby dill leaves to this recipe. The aroma of this herbs makes it smell delicious.
Rice is a very good source of proteins, vitamins, carbohydrates and minerals. It is said that rice was originated in India, which was then introduced to China around 3000 years BC. This grain was imported as an article of trade to Sicily-Italy, by Arab merchants till the 15th century. Its cultivation was introduced to Mediterranean region by the Portuguese in the 16th century. Rice was first sowed in America in 1647. Today the U.S is one of the largest exporters of rice.
As we all know rice is widely available nationwide. So choose any rice variety that you prefer. You can just grind the rice grains in the food processor for few seconds and break them for baby food. Broken rice takes less time cook. In case you are interested in using Samo Rice- this variety of rice is available in most of the Indian grocery stores.
- 4 small cubes of acorn squash
- 4 small cubes of butternut squash
- 2 tbs of broken rice
- 1/4 tsp unsalted butter
- A dash of dried oregano
- A dash of dried basil leaves
- A pinch of cumin seeds
- 1 cup water or [url href=”http://www.easybabymeals.com/homemade-vegetable-broth/”]vegetable stalk[/url]
- Few baby dill leaves
- Start with adding butter to the pot. Once heated add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Follow that with oregano and basil.
- Now add squashes and saute them for a minute.
- Then add broken rice and baby dill leave. Mix everything well.
- Add water and let it cook till rice has turned soft and mushy.
- Once done, turn off the heat and let it cool down a bit.
Talk to your baby’s Pediatrician before starting any new food.
© 2014-2015 EasyBabyMeals. All the content is copyright protected. Do not use without prior permission.