Quick and easy Sweet Corn Soup is a comfort food for toddlers and everyone in the family.
Foodie Mamas are back. And this time the chosen ingredient is Corn. If you are here for the first time then here’s a little information about Foodie Mamas. EasyBabyMeals has teamed up with wonderful Food Bloggers and we have created a group called Foodie Mamas. Here, we choose an ingredient and come up with delicious recipes every month. These recipes get published every last Wednesday of the month.
This month we chose to work with Corn. As I was doing some reading and researching, I realized that there aren’t many toddler-friendly recipes made from Corn. So I thought of making this soup for little ones. This mildly flavored sweet corn soup is a meal in itself. Corn as such doesn’t have many nutrients in it. But when paired with other vegetables, it becomes a hearty meal for little ones. The soup can be served with garlic bread to the entire family. This thick soup is a quick comfort food for the cold days ahead.
As I mentioned above Corn is not a good source of nutrients, but it’s not totally void of it. Corn has vitamin A, vitamin B-6, and vitamin C. It also contains, calcium, phosphorus, and iron. Corn is rich in fiber, it helps in relieving constipation. It also has various antioxidants. Corn can be introduced to babies as early as 8 to 10 months. But I started giving corn to my little girl after her first birthday.
While shopping for corn, look for those with fresh and green husk. It should cover the corn ear tightly and not fall off. Corn kernels should be plump and tightly arranged in rows. To examine this just pull back the husk gently.
- 2 1/2 cup corn kernels (2 cups for corn puree, 1/2 cup for soup)
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, french beans)
- 1/3 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/3 cup spring onions (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic and ginger
- Dash of Black pepper
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Start with pureeing 2 cups corn kernels. Add a little water if required. Once done, keep it aside.
- Steam the mixed vegetables in a steamer.
- In a pot, add butter. Once it sizzles, add minced garlic and ginger. Saute it for few seconds then add celery. Cook celery for a minute or two. Follow that with steamed vegetables. Saute it for another minute.
- Then add corn puree. Mix it well. Now add water.
- Keep the heat on low and let it simmer for 5 to 10 mins.
- While simmering add the black pepper powder and salt
- Once the soup is cooked well switch off the heat. Do not overcook, the corn will curdle.
Now let’s see what my other fellow Foodie Mamas have come up with.
Here we come to the end of this month’s Foodie Mama Roundup. We will be back again next month with a new ingredient and amazing recipes.
Talk to your baby’s Pediatrician before starting any new food.
© 2014-2015 EasyBabyMeals. All the content is copyright protected. Do not use without prior permission.