A warm comfort food for you and your little one for this fall and winter season.
Hello, everyone. Soup season is finally here. I really look forward to this time of the year, because it is a blessing after months of Arizona summer heat. To my delight, my daughter loves having soups and is eager to try new ones. So I get a perfect opportunity to work on some new recipes and feed her fresh and healthy seasonal delights.
In today’s recipes, I have used sweet potatoes, apple and celery as a base for my soup. To give it a fall flavor, I have seasoned it with the cinnamon stick and pumpkin spice. I have used vegetable broth/stock for this recipe. But you all can make this with chicken or beef stock too. Since I have used my version of homemade vegetable stock, it is filled with all the nutrients from various vegetables that I have added in the stock.
Sweet potatoes are filled with vitamin A and beta-carotene along with potassium. They also contain a good amount of vitamin E, calcium, and folate. Filled with fiber, sweet potatoes are helpful in maintaining a good digestive health for little tummies. They are a great starter food for babies. When selecting sweet potatoes for homemade baby food, make sure to pick those that are not bruised and free from brown or soft spots. Store these in a cool dark place, I like to keep them in my potato basket. I usually buy a big one and then peel and cut into pieces and store it in a ziplock in the freezer. This makes my job easy while making recipes for baby food or for general cooking.
This soup is great for babies 8 months and above. For older children and grown-ups, I like to top this soup with walnuts for little-added crunch. But you can skip this and add croutons. I hope you all enjoy this soup with your loved ones on cold winter days and love it as much as I enjoyed making and serving it to my family. Talk to you all soon again.
Let’s go through the recipe.
- 1 cup sweet potato cubes (chopped1/2 inch)
- 1/2 cup apple cubes (chopped 1/2 inch)
- 1/4 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup [url href=”http://www.easybabymeals.com/homemade-vegetable-broth/” target=”_blank”]vegetable broth[/url](or chicken/beef broth)
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice
- Handful of chopped walnut pieces (optional)
- Start by heating a pan, add olive oil/butter and cinnamon stick.
- Once the oil heats add sweet potatoes, apple and celery cubes. Mix this well.
- Now add pumpkin spice and vegetable broth. Bring this to a boil. Then simmer on low heat till the sweet potatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- Once done, let it rest for few minutes. Then transfer it to a food processor and turn it into a smooth puree.
- Pour this into a serving bowl, garnish it with some walnuts and freshly grounded black pepper and serve warm.
Talk to your baby’s Pediatrician before starting any new food.
© EasyBabyMeals. All the content is copyright protected. Do not use without prior permission.